[DCRM-L] Transcription of printing privileges

David Stumpp david.stumpp at chch.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 16 08:44:08 MDT 2016

Hi Deborah,

As we all know, I'm sure, the rigid interpretation of the rules can often cause just this sort of crisis, and, as such, individual catalogers and institutions have tended to be selective and judicious about their application and often err on the side of common sense. You will know better how the ESTC dealt with this specific issue before my time, but during my tenure, we tended to include printing privileges, regardless of their purpose, in the title transcription, even if it occurred within the statement of responsibility. If it was quite obviously set within the imprint, it was transcribed in the 260, and if it was set markedly below and outside the imprint, it was transcribed in a 500 note, for example:

500 bb |a At foot of title page: Cum priuilegio.

This is the current practice in Oxford. So, in dealing with your first example, we would include "Allowed and published" directly following the proper title in the 245 |b, and in your second example, "Publish'd at the request of ..." would be transcribed in the |c following with the statement of responsibility, just as it is set.

I always think it apt to remember that users of our catalogs are not necessarily trained in bibliographic description and are more likely to view our descriptions literally, and that makes me particularly averse to rules such as 1A2.2 which remove elements of the title page and position them outside of the order in which they were set on the physical item, an out-dated algorithm probably originally for the purpose of generating catalog cards. I am more naturally in favor of describing said item as closely as possible to the actual typesetting.

Best regards,
Dave

David Stumpp
Antiquarian Cataloguer