[DCRM-L] Controlled Vocabularies Moratorium Announcement

Amy Brown amy.brown.3 at bc.edu
Mon Aug 7 14:16:03 MDT 2017

Dear colleagues:

The RBMS Controlled Vocabularies Editorial Group is issuing a moratorium on
new term proposals and change requests while we work to reorganize,
integrate and update the RBMS Controlled Vocabularies.

The Editorial Group is developing a new resource designed to better fit the
current needs of the rare materials cataloging and user community. This
effort will create a tool that is relevant, feasible, and functional for
the current usage climate, with an eye towards future use. Existing terms
will be evaluated for inclusion in the new thesaurus based on continued
relevancy, warrant and usage. Any terms that are flagged for rejection will
be submitted to the Bibliographic Standards Committee for vetting prior to
permanent exclusion. We are continuing to develop the infrastructure around
linked data, and will provide updates as they become available.

The existing Controlled Vocabularies web pages will remain online and
usable until the new CV is released.

Additionally, the Editorial Group considered four new terms (see below) at
ALA Annual, which will be the final new terms incorporated prior to the
moratorium. These terms are available for comment on the CV comment blog
<http://rbms.info/cv-comments/>.

   -

   Bearer (relator term)
   -

   Sender (relator term)
   -

   Publishers’ withdrawn editions (genre term)
   -

   Anti-Methodist literature (genre term)

We are very excited about this project, and believe this will be a great
resource for the community. Please do not hesitate to reach out to the
co-chairs with any questions.

--
Amy F. Brown
Special Collections Technical Services, Head