[DCRM-L] RBMS PS Review Q2.5: Transcription of Inaccuracies

Will Evans evans at bostonathenaeum.org
Wed Dec 20 14:12:00 MST 2017

I too am in favor of retaining the interpolation of inaccuracies in titles
for reasons articulated by Helena and those outlined in the initial post--
inaccuracies are not uncommon in early print materials, and it is important
for our users (including other catalogers!) to be able to readily identify
that the error is on the piece itself and not introduced by the cataloger.
Additionally, I’m troubled by the language in the RDA rule: “*if considered
important*, the cataloger may make a note, correcting the inaccuracy.”
Haven’t our users always considered it important to flag these
inaccuracies. Nevertheless, should the practice of interpolation of
inaccuracies in titles is to be abandoned, I would at least like to see a
RBMS PS stating that a note correcting the inaccuracy be mandatory.

I would not, however, be in favor of the proposed comprise. As others have
noted, the inconsistent approach across cataloging agencies would likely
lead to confusion.

Best,

Will

Will Evans

National Endowment for the Humanities

Chief Librarian in Charge of Technical Services

Library of the Boston Athenaeum

10 1/2 Beacon Street

Boston, MA   02108

Tel:  617-227-0270 ext. 243