[DCRM-L] Relationship designators for people named in legal documents

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Mon Feb 20 14:17:44 MST 2017

I'm looking for relationship designators for people named in various 16th-century manuscript legal documents in the Folger collection. These are documents where some kind or right or property is granted, conveyed, assigned, or whatever from one person to another.

"Assignee" is restricted to "the entity to whom a license for printing or publishing has been transferred," so that won't work, and I'm not finding anything else in the RBMS Controlled Vocabularies.

Examples of legal documents:

*         Conveyance by bargain and sale from Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, to Henry Mathewe of Ancton, Sussex, yeoman [manuscript], 1574 May 13

*         Letters patent from Elizabeth I, Queen of England, to Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester [manuscript], 1574 April 5.

The MARC list has a pair of terms that appear to be what I'm looking for, but I'd like confirmation from my peers that they really do mean what I want them to before I go ahead:
First party [fpy]
A person or organization who is identified as the only party or the party of the first party. In the case of transfer of rights, this is the assignor, transferor, licensor, grantor, etc. Multiple parties can be named jointly as the first party

Second party [spy]
A person or organization who is identified as the party of the second part. In the case of transfer of right, this is the assignee, transferee, licensee, grantee, etc. Multiple parties can be named jointly as the second party

I'm pretty certain that anyone seeing the heading "Leicester, Robert Dudley, Earl of, 1532?-1588, first party" in our OPAC will be baffled, but I'm also pretty sure that once they follow the link and find the Conveyance of land from Robert Dudley to Henry Mathewe, they'll figure it out.

Am I on the right track?

EB.

________

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Head of Collection Information Services  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu<mailto:eblake at folger.edu>  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323<tel:%2B1%20202-675-0323>  |  fax +1 202-675-0328<tel:%2B1%20202-675-0328>  |  www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>