[DCRM-L] illustration technique / reproduction technique

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Mon Jan 9 09:03:40 MST 2017

Fear not, Richard. When I wrote "The safe bet would be to use the broader term 'Relief prints' and move on" I meant it literally: it's not incorrect, and it's speedy. It's not necessarily preferable.

Taking up Matt's example, I like the idea of being able to use the AAT terms wood engraving (process)<http://www.getty.edu/vow/AATFullDisplay?find=wood+engraving&logic=AND&note=&subjectid=300053303> and wood engravings (prints)<http://www.getty.edu/vow/AATFullDisplay?find=wood+engraving&logic=AND&note=&english=N&prev_page=1&subjectid=300041402> to distinguish illustration technique from printing technique, but I'm not sure it can work that way. "Wood engraving (process)" is from the "Activities" facet, which is topical by implication: "wood engraving (process)" could be a 650 for a book about wood engraving, or for a picture of a wood engraver at work, but not a 655.

Appendix C of The Guide to Indexing and Cataloging with the Art & Architecture Thesaurus (1994) explicitly says the 655 can only contain terms from the Information Forms, Object Genres, and Visual Works facets.  But at some point down the road, AAT dropped the Chart of MARC/AAT fields from the Guide. (At least, I can't find it in any of the online guides; it's a paper copy from 1994 that I have in front of me).

This discussion is eerily well-timed….. on Friday, the Folger's Cataloging and Metadata department made the official decision to begin preferring AAT terms over RBMS terms in the 655.  (You heard it here first, folks…. We haven't yet globally changed any terms, and we haven't yet written up new help pages for catalog users).

EB.

________

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Head of Collection Information Services  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu<mailto:eblake at folger.edu>  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323<tel:%2B1%20202-675-0323>  |  fax +1 202-675-0328<tel:%2B1%20202-675-0328>  |  www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/>

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Matthew Ducmanas
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 5:11 PM
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] illustration technique / reproduction technique

Thank you for your response as well, Richard.

You make an interesting point about the translation process that can occur at various stages of the illustration's production. If anyone is interested in a good read touching a bit on that, I recently enjoyed Beegan's The mass image : a cultural history of photomechanical reproduction in Victorian London<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/181072643> which examines the period of transition from wood engraving to photomechanical methods as the most popular reproduction method. It was fascinating to read about the interplay between the two production methods, as well as the hybrid nature of some early process prints.

I wonder if any institutions make use of the AAT terms identifying process as opposed to print to call out distinctions like these. The thesaurus has both wood engraving (process)<http://www.getty.edu/vow/AATFullDisplay?find=wood+engraving&logic=AND&note=&subjectid=300053303> and wood engravings (prints)<http://www.getty.edu/vow/AATFullDisplay?find=wood+engraving&logic=AND&note=&english=N&prev_page=1&subjectid=300041402> as terms. To take a more extreme example, would it makes sense to apply the terms offset lithographs and wood engraving (process) to a modern reproduction of a wood engraving produced by offset lithography? This would correctly identify the physical thing in front of us while providing a form of access to the image's original existence. Though I'm not sure if that is entirely satisfactory or is making correct use of the process terms. Perhaps visual materials catalogers have considered something similar.

Thanks,
Matt