[DCRM-L] MARC coding (leader) for single-item manuscripts

Thu Jun 1 17:35:18 MDT 2017

We do the same. Manuscripts are coded type of record (LDR 06) 't', and nature of contents (008/24-27) 'm'.

Deborah J. Leslie, MA, MLS | Senior Cataloger, Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 201 East Capitol Street, S.E. | Washington, DC 20003 | 202.675-0369 | orcid.org 0000-0001-5848-5467

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Christine DeZelar-Tiedman
Sent: Thursday, 01 June, 2017 17:29
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] MARC coding (leader) for single-item manuscripts

We use 't' for manuscripts. In addition to the methods you've described, they can be distinguished from theses and dissertations in our catalog (Alma/Primo) by giving them a separate material type. There are separate material types for Manuscripts and Theses, which can be used as search limiters in the Advanced Search options.