[DCRM-L] Signature statement advice

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Wed Nov 15 13:19:17 MST 2017

I'd guess that this was not Gryphius' idea--possibly Clénard's. The
signatures are doing double duty as pagination, designed more for the
reader than for the binder. The result is a fully printed page-by-page
reference system--which wasn't really necessary for the matter printed in
A-C, with their standard signatures.

Your note is accurately descriptive, even if it leads one to say, "You're
kidding!" Anyway, I wouldn't call these "direction numbers", since they're
actually page numbers. If I were doing, say, a contents statement, I'd
probably *not* follow the system because it's so eccentric; I'd refer to
2c7v, not 2c14, partly because the latter *looks* like signature reference
to leaf 14--in a book in 8s.  I've never seen anything like it--I guess it
didn't catch on, for good reason. All it did was spare the compositor a bit
of arithmetic, as in "What page does 2d begin on?"

There's nothing about it in Gaskell or Bowers because they never saw such a
thing, beyond which it's a system breaker. This is a case for using your
words, as they say, partly because the user of the catalog needs to be
assured that the thing really is that weird. Having to infer weirdness from
standard descriptive terms alone leaves too much residual doubt as to who's
taken the crazy pills. You might even include an 856 link in the record:
seeing is believing.

The use of doubled letters implies that there's a related work signed with
single letters? Might that be the case?

By the way, I'm delighted to have a record of this odd book. Thank you for
bringing it to our attention.

By the way, the system *doesn't* seem to be used in the Annotationes, which
references by pagination. I haven't got time to puzzle this out, and may be
missing the full complexity of it all...

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>