[DCRM-L] RBMS PS update and initial community review

Mascaro, Michelle mmascaro at ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 16 16:18:03 MST 2017

Dear Colleagues-

For the past three years the RBMS Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials Task Force has been working on developing a set of policy statements to RDA for cataloging rare materials (formally called the RBMS PS).  At ALA Annual in Chicago, the task force having completed their charge of creating an initial draft of the RBMS PS dissolved.   The RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee has absorbed the task of shepherding the RBMS PS through to publication in the RDA Toolkit.  Francis Lapka, BSC chair, appointed me as RBMS PS editor to coordinate the process.

The completion of the initial draft of the RBMS PS unfortunately has coincided with the RDA Toolkit Restructure and Redesign (3R) Project and the freezing of all Toolkit content while RDA is reorganized.  The estimated rollout for the revised RDA Toolkit is currently June 2018.

While we are waiting for the results of the 3R Project to be unveiled, we would like to start gathering community feedback on specific areas where the proposed outcomes in the RBMS PS draft differ from RDA or the DCRM suite (which heavily informed the RBMS PS).  Since the results of the RDA 3R project (and specifically how PS will be displayed in the redesigned Toolkit) will likely cause portions of the RBMS PS to be re-written, a close reading of the draft policy statements will not occur until after 3R is complete.  Completion of certain portions of the drafts that are most likely to change (such as the RDA chapters on relationships) are on hold completely until the end of 3R.

Starting today, I will be posting a series of questions to DCRM-L every 2-3 week for discussion.  As warranted, I will include relevant portions of the draft text from the RBMS PS in my queries. Since the master RBMS PS draft documents include the RDA text to which the PS refer to, I am unable to openly post the full drafts on DCRM-L.  Those who are not current BSC members and are interested in participating in a more thorough review, please feel free to contact me off list.

At this point, I would like to formally recognize the DCRM RDA Task Force Members for a job well done: Francis Lapka (Chair), Yale University; Morag Boyd, The Ohio State University; Valerie M. Buck, Brigham Young University; Ellen Cordes, Yale University; Lori Dekydtspotter, Indiana University; Christine A. DeZelar-Tiedman, University of Minnesota; Todd Fell, Yale University; Jane M. Gillis, Yale University; Matthew C. Haugen, Columbia University; Linda Isaac, University of Miami; Deborah J. Leslie, Folger Shakespeare Library; Nancy E. Lorimer, Stanford University; Michelle Mascaro, University of California, San Diego; Iris O'Brien, British Library; Elizabeth M. O'Keefe, retired, formerly Morgan Library & Museum; Audrey Pearson, Yale University; Aislinn Catherine Sotelo, University of California, San Diego; and Catherine C. Uecker, University of Chicago.

I would also like to thank current BSC members Amy Tims, American Antiquarian Society, and Elizabeth Hobart, Penn State University, who have helped in the recent months prepping the drafts for review.

Best,

Michelle Mascaro, RBMS PS Editor

Michelle Mascaro
Head, Special Collections Metadata