[DCRM-L] [RBC201706] Holograph vs. Handwritten

Margaret F. Nichols mnr1 at cornell.edu
Thu Sep 7 09:59:46 MDT 2017

Hello, Joan and all,

DCRM(MSS) prefers the term "autograph" rather than "holograph" for a manuscript handwritten by its creator, since the editorial team's experience has been that most users don't know what "holograph" means. If you're not sure who made the corrections (for instance, if they might have been made later by an editor), so the term "autograph" might not apply, you could describe them as "manuscript corrections," or "handwritten corrections" is OK too (it's not wrong, it just sounds less exciting). Book dealers seem to like to use the word "holograph," I think partly just because it sounds more impressive, but it's not terribly user-friendly.

Best regards,

Margaret Nichols

Margaret F. Nichols
Rare Materials Cataloging Coordinator
Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections
2B Kroch Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853-5302
Tel. (607) 255-9667