[DCRM-L] letter authorship

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Tue Sep 26 11:24:40 MDT 2017

For manuscript catalogers:

When describing a letter composed by one person (frequently a secretary) on behalf of another, what is best practice for choosing the author? Here's a shorter example (1937):

Dear Madam, In reply to your letter Lord Hambleden says he is glad to give a prize and has asked me to send you the enclosed five guineas. He is greatly looking forward to seeing the exhibition. Yours faithfully, [secretary's name]

In this example, would you treat Hambleden as author? If not, as contributor? If treating him as contributor, is there a relationship designator that would be appropriate? I have a handful of such letters - of varying origination - at my desk now, so advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Francis

Francis Lapka  *  Catalog Librarian
Dept. of Rare Books and Manuscripts