[DCRM-L] RBMS PS review Q4: Extent of text

Kathie Coblentz kathiecoblentz at nypl.org
Tue Apr 3 10:47:58 MDT 2018

I completely agree with Bob Maxwell on "i.e.," and I have no problems using
"that is" instead. (It never ceases to surprise me how many educated people
use "i.e." when they mean "e.g.," and vice versa. Or "the other way
around," I suppose I should say.)

However, "sic" is awfully hard to replace with an English word or concise
phrase. Of course RDA gospel calls for omitting it altogether in
transcribing "an element as it appears on the source," and I can go along
with that, as long as there is a note (and/or other title entry)
"correcting the inaccuracy," though in the case of rare materials, I would
not limit that to "if considered important for identification or access."

But in quoted material from other sources, there is no other good way to
call attention to typos, factual errors or other unexpected variations in
the data.

This doesn't really apply to the discussion of Extent of text, since I
can't imagine using "sic" there for any reason, but it might be worth
reflecting on for the rest of the catalog record.

Oh, and for what it's worth: for rare materials, I'm completely on board
with using the square brackets convention instead of "unnumbered," for the
sake of everyone's sanity. I wish RDA would drop "unnumbered" altogether.
Anyone who cares about the distinction between pages with page numbers on
them and pages with no page numbers on them, understands the bracketing
convention. As for the rest, how many noncatalogers even know what
"unnumbered pages" means?

*Kathie Coblentz | The New York Public Library*
*Rare Materials Cataloger*

Special Collections/Special Formats Processing

*Stephen A. Schwarzman Building*476 5th Avenue, Room 313, New York, NY 10018
kathiecoblentz at nypl.org

My opinions, not NYPL's