[DCRM-L] RBMS PS review Q4: Extent of text

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Tue Apr 3 11:15:12 MDT 2018

The user base for rare records might or might not be more linguistically diverse than others using the database—finding out would require a user study, I should think. Similar, and perhaps more forceful, arguments could be made for other user communities, for example Spanish-speaking users of many public library catalogs.

But if that is indeed the case, using “i.e.” instead of “that is” is an extremely tiny concession to the putative needs of that base—if we were in fact concerned about that we’d have to translate all the other English parts of the record, which are many, into some international language, Esperanto perhaps, or Latin. Surely if the non-English speakers using our records can manage to read through our extensive notes written in English they won’t stumble at “that is”.

Note: the question isn’t whether “i.e.” is better or worse than “that is”; the question is whether there’s a good rare materials reason for DCRM to depart from the general instructions. On this issue I don’t see one.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University