[DCRM-L] RBMS PS review Q4: Extent of text

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Wed Apr 18 06:35:43 MDT 2018

 ​
On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 7:30 PM, Deborah J. Leslie <DJLeslie at folger.edu>
wrote:

> There is no provision in AACR2, DCRM, or RDA for using 'sic'—a convention
> used in quoted text—in statements of extent.
>

> Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu |

The logic of this is quite clear: the statement must indicate the *actual*
extent according to the rules for the field (whether exact per dcrmb, or
recording numbered portions only by less rigorous standards): so
corrections are not only OK, they're necessary; merely implying that the
source numeration is in some way incorrect is not, even if a note is
included in the record. To which dogmatic statement I add "(?)".

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>

​