[DCRM-L] Beta symbol in statement of extent

Will Evans evans at bostonathenaeum.org
Wed Jan 3 14:44:22 MST 2018

Hi All,

Some of our older bib records from retrocon have a beta symbol in the
statement of extent (see below), which would appear to represent unnumbered
leaves. Could anyone confirm if the beta symbol was used to indicate
unnumbered leaves, and identify source of this practice in bibliographical
description? I didn’t find any reference to it in Bowers.

   - Main Author: Brangwyn, Frank, 1867-1956.
   <https://catalog.bostonathenaeum.org/vwebv/search?searchArg=Brangwyn%2C%20Frank%2C%201867-1956.&searchCode=NAME&searchType=4>
   - Title: A book of bridges, by Frank Brangwyn A. R. A., and Walter Shaw
   Sparrow.
   - Publishing Details: London, John Lane; New York, John Lane company,
   1915.
   27 cm.

Best,

Will

Will Evans

National Endowment for the Humanities

Chief Librarian in Charge of Technical Services

Library of the Boston Athenaeum

10 1/2 Beacon Street

Boston, MA   02108

Tel:  617-227-0270 ext. 243