[DCRM-L] RBMS PS Review Q2.5: Transcription of Inaccuracies

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Mon Jan 8 12:39:56 MST 2018

Ultimately we need to make a strict distinction between transcription--as
conscious optical character recognition--and data interpretation. We have
far too many fields in which we run up against the limitations and
confusions of trying to do both things at once. I suppose image matching
might be the way forward, since that's what transcription is aiming for, by
way of crude intermediate translation; as in the too many cases I've seen,
in the latest discussions, of transcriptions that cannot be read
unambiguously back to the source.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>