[DCRM-L] Uneven gatherings for broadsheet format books?

Thu Jul 19 14:20:19 MDT 2018

I don't believe there's any circumstance in which a superscript '1' or any other superscript odd number is allowed (with the rare exceptions for 18mo's in 9's). It seems to me you have a choice between doing what the ESTC does, describe how the leaves are signed but not try to create a signature statement since the signatures have nothing to do with the book's collation; or devise a signature statement using the traditional formula and making it clear that the signings don't match the book, as in 7B9.5 (Signatures do not match gatherings).

Except that you don't have gatherings. I don't see any reasonable way of doing it except as the ESTC has done.

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu |

From: DCRM-L [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Gemberling, Ted P
Sent: Thursday, 19 July, 2018 15:39
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Uneven gatherings for broadsheet format books?

Bob,
Thanks for the input on this. The book does have watermarks on every sheet. Let me see if I can understand the implication. Are you saying that if it were a folio, the watermarks would be in the middle of the sheet? They are not. They are placed in agreement with what Gaskell says about whole sheets on p. 61: “… by the sixteenth century they were normally put in the centre of one half of the oblong, so that when a sheet of paper was folded in half (as in a folio), the watermark appeared in the centre of *one* of the two leaves” (emphasis mine). So I guess the fact they are present on every leaf indicates it must be full sheet.

One other question: why would [1]-[45]1 be better than pi² A⁶ B-C5 D-G⁶ H3? (I’ll admit I missed the fleuron on the second leaf.) Is it that the use of lettered signatures disguises the real format of the book?

Thanks, Ted