[DCRM-L] RBMS CV Linked Open Data hosting/LC partnership - request for feedback

Amy Brown amy.brown.3 at bc.edu
Thu Jul 26 12:02:27 MDT 2018

*Dear colleagues:The Controlled Vocabularies Group has provisionally
partnered with the Library of Congress Linked Data Service (LDS) to host
the Rare Books and Manuscripts soon-to-be integrated controlled vocabulary.
We are soliciting community feedback about this partnership and the
requisite project specifications. Additional details and answers to some
frequently asked questions have been posted to our blog here
<http://rbms.info/cv-comments/2018/07/26/frequently-asked-questions-library-of-congress-linked-open-data-hosting-solution/>.Brief
project specifications: - CVEG will maintain editorial control of the
vocabularies and will provide routine data dumps to LC LDS. The frequency
of these updates remains to be determined.- Data formats and transformation
responsibilities are still in process; tentatively, LC has offered to
transform our native XML data (exported from MultiTes, the current database
maintenance software) with each update- LC LDS will provide hosting,
including a searchable interface and a linked data service. The search
interface will resemble existing id.loc.gov <http://id.loc.gov/>
vocabularies, such as LCGFT.- Concurrently, the existing rbms.info
<http://rbms.info/> site will be retired, avoiding confusion about stable
URIs.- Integration and reorganization efforts are continuing (with ample
opportunities for community feedback planned). Implementation will
necessarily take place after integration is complete.- The CVEG is
developing a plan for archiving the un-integrated vocabularies and making
them available for download. The group plans to provide mapping
spreadsheets for deleted and changed terms, as well as a spreadsheet
containing the new term and the previous term + qualifier. This will assist
those institutions that have been applying qualifiers according to the
existing application instructions with authority control when transitioning
to the new resource.Please let us know what you think either by responding
to the list, commenting on the blog, or e-mailing the co-editors at
brownbbz at bc.edu <brownbbz at bc.edu> or rhilde at uoregon.edu
<rhilde at uoregon.edu>.Sincerely,Amy Brown & Ryan Hildebrand, co-editors,on
behalf of the Controlled Vocabularies Editorial Group*--
Amy F. Brown
Special Collections Technical Services, Head
John J. Burns Library
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA  02467
617-552-8124