[DCRM-L] signature statement question

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Wed Jun 13 11:29:19 MDT 2018

Dear Noah,

I'm not sure there's one correct way to deal with this, but it's best to
follow the structure in the formula and use the signing statement to
explain what one sees--so something like:

      Collation: folio: [1]^10 (signing 1st rectos of the inner 4 bifolia
as b-e)

If that seems too much compressed for the sake of compression, the signing
statement could be presented as a discursive note pretty much like the
description in your inquiry, which is perfectly clear; but the formula
seems a useful bibliographical declaration that this is structurally a
single unsigned folio gathering of 10 leaves. Those who understand the
formula and those who care are probably the same people.

Cheers,
Richard

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>