[DCRM-L] help w/ v-large old music book in Latin

Taysom, Dan@CSL dan.taysom at library.ca.gov
Thu Mar 15 09:24:45 MDT 2018

I have had several contacts and Peter Hirsch offered to forward my post to the music librarian's list MLA-L (which I am not on) and I have received several offers of help and suggestions.  I appreciate everyone’s offers and comments.

Update for those interested – A person who has seen some photos said:  “It’s what’s called a “Graduale” which contains the sung music/texts (but not the spoken parts) of the Mass.  Based on the interwoven “knotted” initial letter on the first page, it’s likely Spanish (or Spanish-speaking new world if later).  … This is probably one of two paired books for the Mass — the first one would have contained the annual cycle of Sundays and special days (Christmas, Easter, etc.) beginning with the first Sunday of advent and ending in November.  This second book contains the special masses for particular saints days, again beginning around the first Sunday in Advent and continuing around the year.”

Indeed there is supposed to be another ‘big book’ at our other site which has not made its way to me yet, so I am guessing that would likely be the 1st book mentioned.  An interesting journey of discovery already and it is only just beginning.

Thanks,

Dan Taysom | Librarian
Technical Services | California State Library
Library & Courts Building II | 900 N Street | Sacramento CA 95814
P.O. Box 942837 | Sacramento, CA 94237-0001
916-653-2267
Dan.Taysom at library.ca.gov<mailto:Dan.Taysom at library.ca.gov>