[DCRM-L] Devised titles in DCRM(MSS): required components conundrum

Ducharme, Diane diane.ducharme at yale.edu
Tue Mar 20 06:53:10 MDT 2018

Hi Erin, Bob,

1B5 is indeed a bit of a deviation from the strict definition of devised, and perhaps we need a bit of verbiage to explain what we’re doing with the first-lines there (making an exception to the devised title rule to accommodate a traditional and useful way of “inventing” a title.

1B, Devised title, takes place of priority because the overwhelming majority of single items do not have formal titles, and the rules for devised titles were located to conform to that reality 😊. I’m not sure I agree with you that title from first line is “formal,” in the sense that it is taken from a title page, colophon or caption (the only circumstances in which the cataloger MUST treat title information as a formal title in DCRM(MSS). I do not think a first line is a title in that sense. Nor is a first line a title covered by  “Title from elsewhere in the manuscript or accompanying material” (1C1.1.2.1) and that rule is:

If there is no title page, colophon, or caption, but a title
appears elsewhere in the manuscript or in accompanying material, including
housing, use judgment as to whether to treat it as a formal title or to devise a title
(see 1B). Consider the title’s utility and accuracy, whether the work is commonly
known by a certain title, and information from reference sources, if any.

A first line COULD be “a title elsewhere in the manuscript” if it were set off, written in a larger hand or different ink, etc., but in most cases they are not.

Perhaps Liz O’Keefe, our resident title expert, will clarify it all for all of us!

All best,
Diane