[DCRM-L] Transcription rules in DCRM(G)

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 12:44:14 MDT 2018

Because this is an artist's signature, I'd be inclined to interpret the
omissions and missing space as a deliberate transformation of her forename
and surname into a symbol (similar to a monogram). So, I think I'd follow
1G8, and transcribe it exactly: noémielsqins

But I think adding the space and supplying the missing letters like you did
would also work, as long as you make a note that her name appears as "
noémielsqins" in the signature, so that people know it's not that you're
trying to represent a design where the missing "e" and "u" are represented
by swirls of colour or something.

Yours,
Erin.
Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Head of Collection Information Services  |  Folger
Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |
eblake at folger.edu  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323 |  www.folger.edu