[DCRM-L] FW: gatherings signed in -- DRAFT Does this get to what we want?

Cordes, Ellen ellen.cordes at yale.edu
Thu May 24 08:37:19 MDT 2018

Dear DCRM(B) catalogers,

We who are not knowledgeable about Hebrew are asking for your help. What has been your understanding/practice in applying, briefly summarized for quick reference,

1)  DCRM(B) 7B9.6. Concurrent signatures, provide both sets of signatures in a note.
2)  DCRM(B) 7B9.7. Nonroman signatures (numeric sequence), represent the characters using Arabic numeration. Note parallel numeration using another script.
3)  DCRM(B) 7B9.8. Nonroman signatures (alphabetic sequence), transcribe in original script (if possible) or in Romanized form.
4)  DCRM(B) 7B9.9-10. Use Greek or Hebrew  alphabetic signatures, use the 24-letter (Greek) or 22-letter alphabet (Hebrew),  transcribe in original script (if possible) or in Romanized form.
5) DCRM(B) 7B9.9-11. Other nonroman alphabetic signatures, do not assume standard signing pattern; give first and last characters in each sequence, followed by total count.

DCRM(B) tells us if nonroman characters are accompanied by parallel numeration, just note it.
Example from DCRMB 7B9.7: Signatures (in parallel Hebrew and Arabic numerals): pi ⁸ 1-4 ⁸

And yet, we find examples such as:  Signatures in Hebrew characters and Arabic numerals: 1[alef]-12[yod-bet]⁶ (1[alef]₂ verso blank, 12[yod-bet]₆ verso blank)

Why are we not recording both sequences when there are parallel instances? And second, why are we instructed in most cases to transcribe in original script EXCEPT in the case of nonroman numeric sequences?  Would we not want to record original script in all cases or transliterate?

RDA Examples Group