[DCRM-L] FW: gatherings signed in -- DRAFT Does this get to what we want?

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Fri May 25 16:07:07 MDT 2018

Agreeing with what's been said already. Since signatures are recorded in a
compressed formula according to established conventions rather than being
transcribed information, I'm fine with converting Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew
numeric sequences to Arabic numerals as one of those conventions, as long
as the note differentiates between numeric and alphabetic sequences when
indicating the original script. So if we retain the DCRM(B) example at
7B9.7 I would change it to say Signatures (in Hebrew numerals), instead of
characters; and  also "Signatures (in Greek alphabet): when it is an
alphabetic sequence. "Characters" might be reserved for those cases where
there is doubt about whether it is a numeric or alphabetic sequence.

I also would like to see the new PS instruction provide for indicating the
direction of signing when applicable for right-to-left languages when
applicable and important for clarity.

Matt

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger