[DCRM-L] "Dummy..." at start of notes in old ESTC records?

JOHN LANCASTER jjlancaster at me.com
Wed Nov 28 19:40:33 MST 2018

Information from Christine Straitt at ESTC:

In the late 1990s, she was told that they were inserted for tracking purposes by the BL.  There were similar ones from EEBO, encountered while she was working on the Huntington Wing team from 10/1997 through 5/1999.  They were mostly in unedited UMI records.  The team was supposed to verify those items on the films belonging to the Huntington, edit those records comparing the filmed copy to the copy in hand, and then remove the “Dummy …” note, but to ignore the note in any other records.

They don’t now seem to serve any purpose. The notes don’t survive in the current ESTC data base; only in local OPACs, apparently in records downloaded from ESTC/RLIN long ago.

I hope this helps.

John