[DCRM-L] recording numbered copies publicly

Moody, Honor M. honor_moody at harvard.edu
Fri Dec 13 12:31:59 MST 2019

Happy Friday, everyone.

I had always thought that recording the number of a numbered copy publicly was not only useful for patrons who might want to look at a specific copy, but was also considered good theft prevention/theft retrieval practice. However, I've recently been asked to either stop recording these, or to record the  number privately, in part due to concerns that it identifies a limited run copy.

I am wondering if folks on this list have any thoughts one way or the other-I have been wrong before, but if my understanding is correct, I would like to push back on this request.

Best,
Honor

Honor Moody

Metadata Creation Manager

Harvard Library Information and Technical Services

honor_moody at harvard.edu