[DCRM-L] Manuscript cataloguing questions

Maria Oldal oldalm at themorgan.org
Wed Feb 27 17:35:48 MST 2019

Iris,

The Morgan Library & Museum faced a similar challenge when we had to find a
place in the MARC record for accession numbers. Some of our accession
number sequences are also shelfmarks, others also function as call numbers
pointing to a relative location within a collection or on the shelf, and
yet others have no location function at all. Many collection items are
known and requested by their accession numbers. Ideally accession numbers
are unique.

In consultation with our local library system vendor contact, we opted to
use the 024 field with first indicator 8 (unspecified type of standard
number or code) and second indicator blank. An added attraction of this
choice was that the field is indexed. The accession number is entered in
the "a" subfield, and former numbers are preserved in "z" subfields. See
sample records below. While this is a non-standard use of the MARC tag, it
has served us well in providing access to these crucial numbers in the
bibliographic records. In the case of the manuscript collections, the
records are unique in OCLC, therefore the use of the 024 field for this
purpose presents no conflict. I can search for our accession numbers in
Worldcat and in the Connexion client by using the Standard Number (sn:)
category.

While we enter accession numbers in the bibliographic records, call numbers
are only in the local system in the holdings records. If the accession
number and the call number are the same, they are repeated.

I hope this is helpful.

Maria Oldal
Manager of Collections Information and Library Systems
The Morgan Library & Museum
225 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Tel: 212-590-0382
Email: oldalm at them <oldalm at themorgan.org>organ.org <oldalm at themorgan.org>

000 02068ctmaa2200385Ii 450
001 80008
005 20190227185215.0
008 980604e16900726xx 000 0 eng d
035 __ |a (OCoLC)ocn270129759
040 __ |a AN# |b eng |e dcrmmss |c AN# |d OCLCF |d AN#
*024 8_ |a MA 9811 |z MA 549*
035 __ |a (OCoLC)270129759
100 1_ |a Compton, Henry, |d 1632-1713.
245 10 |a Letter from Henry Compton, place not identified, to Sir Robert
Southwell, 1690 July 26 : |k autograph manuscript signed.
264 _0 |a Place not identified, |c 1690 July 26.
300 __ |a 1 |f item (2 pages, with address) ; |c 20.6 x 14.6 cm
336 __ |a text |b txt |2 rdacontent
337 __ |a unmediated |b n |2 rdamedia
338 __ |a sheet |b nb |2 rdacarrier
500 __ |a Docketed. Year of writing taken from the docket.
500 __ |a Address panel: "For the Right Hon:ble / Sir Robert Southwell."
500 __ |a From a bound collection of documents and letters titled
Autographs of the Bishops of London. Previously accessioned as MA 549.
520 0_ |a Recommending Peter Drelincourt, who wishes to exchange his
preferment for something near Dublin; describing him as "sometimes Tutour
to the Duke of Ormond [...] an honest man & a good Scholar;" adding that he
has the support of the king and queen: "The Queen has an esteem for him,
particularly upon his brothers [Charles Drelincourt] account, who is
Physick Professor at Leyden, & much in ye Kings interest."
541 1_ |c Purchased by Pierpont Morgan, |d 1906.
545 __ |a Bishop of London.
561 1_ |a Purchased by Pierpont Morgan from the London dealer Pearson in
June 1906.
600 10 |a Drelincourt, Charles, |d 1633-1697.
600 10 |a Drelincourt, Peter, |d 1644-1722.
600 00 |a Mary |b II, |c Queen of England, |d 1662-1694.
600 10 |a Ormonde, James Butler, |c Duke of, |d 1665-1745.
600 00 |a William |b III, |c King of England, |d 1650-1702.
650 _4 |a 1690 07 26.
700 1_ |a Southwell, Robert, |c Sir, |d 1635-1702, |e recipient.
852 __ |a Pierpont Morgan Library |b Dept. of Literary and Historical
Manuscripts
902 __ |a LHMSSR20180731

000 03847ctm a2200673Ia 450
001 77013
005 20190211163834.0
008 980430q14351445fr p 000 0 lat d
*024 8_ |a MS M.63*
035 __ |a (OCoLC)ocn270127377
040 __ |a AN# |b eng |c AN#
041 0_ |a lat |a fre
043 __ |a e-fr--- |a n-us-ny
110 2_ |a Catholic Church.
240 10 |a Book of hours (Ms. Pierpont Morgan Library. M.63)
245 10 |a Book of hours (MS M.63).
260 __ |a Angers or Nantes, France, |c ca. 1440.
300 __ |a 115 leaves (1 column, 20 lines), bound : |b vellum, ill. ; |c 173
x 127 mm
500 __ |a Ms. book of hours for the use of Nantes and Angers; calendar for
Angers; written and illuminated in Angers or Nantes, France, ca. 1440.
546 __ |a Latin and French |b textura
500 __ |a Decoration: 19 large miniatures, 29 small miniatures, 24 calendar
illustrations.
500 __ |a Artist: Master of Jeanne de Laval.
563 __ |a 18th-century black morocco, blind tooled, perhaps Belgian.
524 __ |a Pierpont Morgan Library. MS M.63.
541 1_ |c Purchased by |a J. Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913) in |d 1902.
561 1_ |a Richard Bennett; Catalogue of manuscripts and early printed books
from the libraries of William Morris, Richard Bennett, Bertram, fourth Earl
of Ashburnham, and other sources, no. 33; purchased by J. Pierpont Morgan
(1837-1913) with the Bennett Collection in 1902; J.P. Morgan (1867-1943).
510 4_ |a De Ricci, |c v.2, p. 1377
etc.