[DCRM-L] How to transcribe an abbreviation

Person, Mary person at law.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 9 08:50:01 MST 2019

Good morning Collected Wisdom,

I‘m looking at an engraving from 1753. One of the creators’ names is printed as “Tho.s Gibson” –but the “s” is suspended above and to the right of the period (.) --not on the same line as the rest of the name.  In the catalog record I’ve transcribed it as Tho.s Gibson –is that correct?  Or is there a rule about that situation that I’ve overlooked?
He also needs a name authority record so I want to be sure I’m handling the abbreviation properly there, too.

Thank you so much for insights!

Mary

Mary Person
Rare Books Cataloger/Reference Librarian
Historical & Special Collections
Harvard Law School Library