[DCRM-L] Question about signatures and relator term

Jones, Angela arjones at mail.smu.edu
Fri Jul 5 08:54:11 MDT 2019

Hello,

This is my first question to the DCRM list – I took Deborah J. Leslie’s VERY helpful class on rare book cataloging last month, and I am now determined to make sure that all my original catalog of rare books is up to DCRMB standards!

My first rare book that requires original cataloging is in front of me, and I have a few questions that I wanted to pose to those who have been doing this much longer than I have.

My first question is in regards to signatures. The first part of the book has signatures using the [sec.] character. There is a gathering of 6 leaves signed with a single [sec.] character, then another sequence of a single [sec.] character, with a gathering of 4 leaves. Then the signatures are regular gathering of 4 leaves, through the 4th [sec.] character, followed by a fairly normal range of gatherings of 4 leaves designated with alphabets (with one exception). The last signature that is signed is designated LLLL, but there is a single unsigned leaf at the end.

My attempt to note the signatures is: [sec.]⁶, [sec.]-4[sec.]⁴, A-4E⁴, 4F², 4G-4L⁴, [4M]1.
Does it look correct, or am I missing something? In regards to the single gathering at the end, I wasn’t sure if I should infer it as an extra leaf in the 4L gathering, or as a single gathering.

Also, I had a question about a relator term for one person named in the publisher’s statement. The full statement has a printing statement (Typis Hectoris Cicconij), but also a person whose name is prefaced with the term “expensis” (Expensis Io. Alberti Tarini Bibliop. Neap.). It seems that this is referring to the person who funded the printing of the book. At least, I think that is the case. If that is so, what is the correct relator term for the tracing of his name? Would it be “book producer” or something else? I looked through the LC relator code terms and didn’t find a relator code that really seemed to fit, but perhaps I am missing something.

If it is helpful, a scanned version of the book can be found on Google Books at https://books.google.com/books/ucm?vid=UCM5323530628&printsec=frontcover&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

Any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated!

Happy Friday,
Angela

Angela Jones
Head of Technical Services
Underwood Law Library, Dedman School of Law
Southern Methodist University
P.O. Box 750354
Dallas, TX 75275-0354
214-768-1827