[DCRM-L] Question about signatures and relator term

Tue Jul 9 10:37:13 MDT 2019

Thanks, Randy, for kicking off a discussion on early modern book trade relationships.

The imprint in question:

NEAPOLI, Typis Hectoris Cicconij, M.DC.LIII
Expensis Io. Alberti Tarini Bibliop. Neap. CVM PRIVILEGIO

The printer is clearly identified and given prominence. No problem there.

Tarino, a Neapolitan bookseller, is explicitly identified as the person who financed the publication—that is, Tarino, the bookseller, is the publisher. If I could only pick one, I'd pick 'publisher' as the relator, but since I don't only have to pick one (following PCC guidelines on relationship designators<http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/sct/documents/rel-desig-guide-bib.pdf>)—I'd use both: , $e bookseller, $e publisher. (PCC standards require WEMI order, and Folger local policy to order elements at the same level alphabetically.)

What do other catalogers do?

Deborah J. Leslie, MA, MLS | Senior Cataloger, Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | 201 East Capitol Street, S.E. | Washington, DC 20003 | 202.675-0369 | orcid.org 0000-0001-5848-5467

From: DCRM-L [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Randal S. BRANDT
Sent: Saturday, 06 July, 2019 22:21
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Question about signatures and relator term

Weighing from California Rare Book School:

I concur with Deborah on the signatures questions.

For the relator term, I would use "bookseller" because the imprint identifies him as such ("bibliop." = abbreviation of "bibliopola" = "bookseller" [and please forgive me if my Latin isn't perfect here]). The imprint statement does state that he funded the printing, but he identifies himself as a bookseller, so I'd go with that (or both, if you really feel you need to bring out the "at the expense of" aspect; but my personal preference in using these terms is to pick one).

Cheers,
Randy