[DCRM-L] Determining bibliographical format

Mark Seidl marseidl at vassar.edu
Thu Jun 13 08:53:39 MDT 2019

Dear June,

Worry not--yours is absolutely and appropriate question!

In my experience, dealers' catalogs/descriptions can be useful but also
misleading. Some are excellent, others hastily thrown together. In any
case, we catalogers need to treat dealer's descriptions with healthy
skepticism. I always compare dealers' descriptions with my own collations,
going with my own when I'm confident the dealer made a mistake. In short,
always verify.

As for your question about the OCLC record for a copy that resembles yours,
I and, I think, others who post here would need to know a bit more about
the copy you have.

Hope this helps some.

All best,

Mark Seidl