[DCRM-L] Determining bibliographical format

Thu Jun 13 12:17:59 MDT 2019

Not just a spanking new rare book cataloger, but a sleek one as well. (-;

What Mark (also sleek) said. When posting queries about a particular book, it's always helpful to have complete identifying information.

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu |

From: DCRM-L [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Mark Seidl
Sent: Thursday, 13 June, 2019 10:54
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Determining bibliographical format

Dear June,

Worry not--yours is absolutely and appropriate question!

In my experience, dealers' catalogs/descriptions can be useful but also misleading. Some are excellent, others hastily thrown together. In any case, we catalogers need to treat dealer's descriptions with healthy skepticism. I always compare dealers' descriptions with my own collations, going with my own when I'm confident the dealer made a mistake. In short, always verify.

As for your question about the OCLC record for a copy that resembles yours, I and, I think, others who post here would need to know a bit more about the copy you have.

Hope this helps some.

All best,

Mark Seidl