[DCRM-L] IJUV transcription WAS Signatures Question

Thu Oct 10 08:23:56 MDT 2019

Hi Jesse,

Pictures?

You'll also want to double-check your u/v transcription as well by reviewing Appendix G4.2. All of those lower-case consonantal 'v's ought to be transcribed as 'u'.

G4.2. Transcription. As instructed in rule 0G2.2, when the rules for capitalization require converting I or V to lowercase, or i, j, u, or v to uppercase, follow the pattern of usage in the text to determine which letterform to use in the transcription.[1] Establish the pattern of usage by examining text in the same typeface (i.e., roman, italic, or gothic) in the publication being described. Look for letters expressed in the opposite case from the letterforms to be converted, but having the same function (vowel or consonant) and same relative position (appearing in initial, medial, or final positions) as the letterforms to be converted. Begin by examining the remainder of the title page and then, if necessary, proceed to examine the body of the text in other parts of the book in the same typeface. If the pattern of usage cannot be determined within a reasonable amount of time, use this conversion table as a solution of last resort.

Uppercase letterform to be converted

Lowercase conversion

I (vowel or consonant) anywhere in word[2]

II at end of word

ij

II elsewhere in word

ii

V (vowel or consonant) at beginning of word

V (vowel or consonant) elsewhere in word

VV representing single letter[3]

vv

Lowercase letterform to be converted

Uppercase conversion

i (vowel or consonant) anywhere in word

j (vowel or consonant) anywhere in word

u (vowel or consonant) anywhere in word

v (vowel or consonant) anywhere in word

vv representing single letter[4]

VV

This is something many catalogers who aren't steeped in early modern print struggle with, and I'm exploring ideas for making case conversion for IJUV more comfortable. Does this rule of thumb hold up?

In lower-case usage, a 'v' will not be used as a consonant except in initial position.