[DCRM-L] French imprint help

Jessica Grzegorski grzegorskij at newberry.org
Mon Oct 14 12:54:22 MDT 2019

Hi Christine,

I believe "jouxte" means "conforms to" in this case. It's a term borrowed from early French legalese. For a detailed definition and etymology see this entry from CNRTL (Centre national de ressources textuelles et lexicales), especially "jouxte la copie imprimée en tel lieu (Fur.), seul emploi demeuré en usage dans la langue des imprimeurs et de la procédure": https://www.cnrtl.fr/definition/jouxte

The gist of the phrase is that the copy in hand is an exemplar of an edition that conforms to the edition printed in Lyon, but it was not itself necessarily printed in Lyon.

Hope that helps,
Jessica

Jessica Grzegorski
Principal Cataloging Librarian