[DCRM-L] Help for example in DCRMB4 4a3.3

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 12:22:14 MDT 2019

I wouldn't add a note about capitalization -- unlike expansions in square
brackets, there's no mention of capitalization in the instruction, so it
would seem to come out of nowhere.

As for mentioning the brevigraph, I don't think it's necessary for B,
because the expansion is within the word, not an entire word. That being
said, I don't think it would be a problem to add the note.

Background for people who didn't witness it: DCRM(G) globally added the
note "“[the]” replaces the brevigraph “yͤ” on the material" each time
"[the]" appears because it's very common in handpress era prints, and the
community is accustomed to using "[th]e" or "ye" when transcribing it, so
the people test-driving the manual kept thinking a missing word had been
supplied by the cataloger.

In retrospect, I wish the Chief Editor of DCRM(G) [who happens to have been
me] hadn't given up the fight on that one. Using [the] and [that] instead
of [th]e and [tha]t when there's a thorn with an "e" or a "t" on top of it
continues to confuse .

The same thing came up when writing DCRM(MSS), but the published text gets
around the issue by omitting Appendix G, and by avoiding examples with a
thorn.

Erin.

Erin Blake, PhD  |  pronouns: she/her/hers  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger
Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |
eblake at folger.edu  |  www.folger.edu