[DCRM-L] MARC "Type" codes for MSS and reproductions of MSS

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Wed Sep 11 16:06:56 MDT 2019

For those who are interested, I had inquired with OCLC about this. OCLC has
issued revised versions of relevant OCLC Bib Formats and Standards
documentation, dated September 10, 2019, which helpfully clarify the proper
Leader/06 Type coding for online reproductions of manuscripts.

BFAS Chapter 3 (https://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/specialcataloging.html)
Type code fixed field element (
https://www.oclc.org/bibformats/en/fixedfield/type.html)

An excerpt:
"For online resources,* including digitized manuscript resources,* use
codes *a*, *c*, and *e* instead of their unpublished counterparts *t*, *d*,
and *f*, respectively, because all online resources are considered
published." (Emphasis mine).

The documentation is revised at several other points to reiterate this
point.

Matt

--
matthew.haugen at columbia.edu | 212-851-2451 | he/him/his