[DCRM-L] need some resource direction

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 10:04:43 MDT 2019

Here's a link to a blog post I wrote a few years ago, with examples, that
might be helpful:
https://collation.folger.edu/2014/03/v-uv-and-library-transcription-rules/

And some pointers that I've found useful:
- There's no such thing as an uppercase U in the early modern period, so
you'll never have to convert a lowercase u or v into "U"
- There's no such thing as an uppercase J in the early modern period, so
you'll never have to convert a lowercase i or j to "J"
- You only need to worry about i/j and u/v when converting case: if the
word is already in "sentence case" you don't need to do anything. If you
see "Iesvs" you leave it as-is. It's only if you have "IESVS" that you'd
have to stop and think.

Erin.

Erin Blake, PhD  |  pronouns: she/her/hers  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger
Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |
eblake at folger.edu  |  www.folger.edu