[DCRM-L] Missing title page

Jane Stemp Wickenden jane.wickenden at zen.co.uk
Thu Sep 26 12:53:57 MDT 2019

Hi Karen,

[Theses] seems a bit odd unless you are sure there is more than one
thesis in the item.

If I were cataloguing this I'd be inclined to do something along the
lines of your lean title suggestion, only not quite so lean, and then
add a note.

245 10 $a [Thesis on subject].

500 ## $a Deals with [whatever your identified subject is].

If the thesis is in Latin and if you'd like Latin assistance, do feel
free to send me an image off-list.

Also (and this may seem an odd last resort, but it's worked for me
before now), have you tried Google Books or the "search text" option of
archive.org to search for significant phrases? That may pick up
something useful.

Best wishes,

Jane

On 26/09/2019 16:29, Karen Nelson wrote:

> Hello, experts;
>
> Could someone describe best practice for providing a title for a
> resource for which the title page is missing, but there is no internal
> evidence - and none externally either – of what the title was?
>
> (Have read /DCRM-B 0C3. No title page/ – and also /section 7, Note
> area/.)*
>
> In other such cases I have been able to locate the resource or
> something related, online, and to consult the title page seen there.
>
> For this one, nada.
>
> I have a rough date (not before 1715) based on content, a subject (or
> at least, one of them), and a country of publication.
>
> It’s probably, but not definitely a theses/dissertation, but 245
> $a[Theses] seems lean and not too helpful.
>
> 1.Do I transcribe the opening sentences into 245 and back up with a note?
>
> 2.Use a lean supplied title and put the opening sentences in the note?
> There are no chapter headings to use in a 505.
>
> 3.None of the above, but something else?
>
> 4.*Am I missing pertinent instruction in DCRM-B?
>
> Thanks, anyone who has time to help.
>
> Karen

---
https://www.avg.com