[DCRM-L] Help with problem subject heading

Matthew C. Haugen mch2167 at columbia.edu
Tue Aug 11 10:55:32 MDT 2020

Hi Bob, Margaret, and all,

I have begun sketching out two LCSH revision proposals on Cataloging Lab
<http://cataloginglab.org/kb/noble-savage-noble-savage-in-literature-revision/>,
so that the proposals can be openly crowd-sourced and then routed through
the Latin American & Indigenous Peoples SACO Funnel,
<https://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/saco/laipafun.html> rather than submitting
them myself through my institution.

As I said before, if the existing terms have remaining literary warrant as
established concepts known by that name, then at minimum, adding
"stereotype" (to the heading and through the broader term) at least calls
it what it is more clearly than is currently the case with the current
headings ("Noble savage", and "Noble savage in literature"). It would also
align the terms with two examples in LCSH (Model minority stereotype, and
Strong black woman stereotype). Additionally, these two LCSH records
currently lack source citations and scope notes, the addition of which
could help provide context to catalogers when choosing to apply the terms
or not.

But I'd support LCSH revisions that go even further to address concerns
with the current headings, such as replacing the headings with new
preferred terminology, or deprecating the headings in favor of existing
LCSHs like those suggested earlier in this thread.

Additional feedback is welcome on the proposals, including off-list or on
Cataloging Lab.

Best,

Matthew

--
Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger | Columbia University Libraries