[DCRM-L] [External]- Added manuscript illustrations which aren't marginal

Alice Hanes ahanes at Hagley.org
Mon Aug 17 07:43:31 MDT 2020

Hello Andrea,
Good question!  One of my favorite examples of this phenomenon in our collection is a calculus book<http://h92010.eos-intl.net/H92010/OPAC/Details/Record.aspx?BibCode=103699199> containing the idle doodles of a 19th century student in the margins and on the endpapers.  In this case, we followed LC advice to add subheadings "Library--Marginal notes<https://lccn.loc.gov/sh85081056>" (which include "scribbles" as well as "editorial comments") to the name of the individual person.  Apparently, the LC heading "Marginal illustrations<https://lccn.loc.gov/sh2009003233>" is reserved for medieval illuminated manuscripts.  We also added RBMS terms for provenance, "Marginalia" and "Markings."  Still, this seemed inadequate to truly capture the drawings; so we scanned and attached some images, deeming the picture worth the proverbial thousand words.  I look forward to other responses on this topic.

Alice H. Hanes
Technical Services Librarian
Hagley Museum and Library
298 Buck Road East
Wilmington, DE 19807-0630
(302) 658-2400 x234
________________________________
From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu> on behalf of Cawelti, Andrea <cawelti at fas.harvard.edu>
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2020 3:21 PM
To: 'dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu' <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Subject: [External]-[DCRM-L] Added manuscript illustrations which aren't marginal

CAUTION: This email originated from outside the Hagley Network. Do not click on any links or attachments if you do not trust the sender of this message.

Greetings, fellow catalogers, sometimes in music or bound sheet music, I run across noteworthy pencil or ink illustrations on blank pages. Does anyone have a favorite genre term for illustrations like this, as distinguishable from textual annotations? I’ve never thought to separate these out before, but after inquiries from a researcher, am wondering if it might not be a bad idea.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Grateful thanks, andrea

 --

Andrea Cawelti (Ms.)