[DCRM-L] questions on chronograms in Hebrew script

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 25 13:29:03 MDT 2020

Dear rare book catalogers,

I am for the first time providing a chronogram for a pre-1800 Hebrew book in a note field in both transliteration and native script:

We do not have any official guidelines in current Hebraica RDA cataloging documentation for recreating a chronogram from a resource so I am emulating how it would be recorded in Bibliography of the Hebrew book.

For the work that I am currently working on I have done it in the following manner:

500 Date of publication derived from chronogram: ע’ל’ מ’ש’פ’ט’ו’ ישב

500 Date of publication derived from chronogram: ʻA.l' m'i'sh'p'a'ṭo yeshev

I would greatly appreciate any feedback from experienced rare book catalogers.

Sincerely, Heidi Lerner

Heidi G. Lerner

Metadata Librarian for Hebraica and Judaica

Metadata Dept.

Stanford University Libraries

Stanford, CA 94305-6004

ph: 650-725-9953