[DCRM-L] statements on harmful language or catalog remediation

Maria Oldal oldalm at themorgan.org
Thu Dec 10 13:47:10 MST 2020

Francis,

The Morgan's statement on critical cataloging
<https://www.themorgan.org/about/statement-on-cataloging> includes the
following paragraph:

To distinguish content created by Morgan staff from harmful content in
collection items, we use quotation marks to denote language present in the
item or originating from collector or dealer descriptions. We also seek to
add contextual information about the creator, collector, period, and
culture of such items to address their harmful, insensitive, or inaccurate
content.

Maria

--
Maria Oldal
Manager of Collections Information and Library Systems
Email: oldalm at themorgan.org