[DCRM-L] Cataloging American songsters, and other racist material

Bob Kosovsky bobkosovsky at nypl.org
Wed Jul 8 16:58:37 MDT 2020

Hi Erin,

It's a problem that I and many others have wrestled with for years. There's
no LCSH term for racist material - or even one that comes close.  And even
what you find is sometimes inappropriate.  Example:  portrayals of
performers in blackface.  We know that until the end the 19th century,
blackface performers were white.  Yet you'll often find the heading:  *African
Americans* $x *Songs and Music*.  I feel it's incorrect to apply this
heading to racist, demeaning or negative content.

What I've done in the past is have one heading for *African Americans* and
another heading for *Stereotypes (Social psychology)** $z **United States. *At
times I think I've added a third heading (which I can't recall at the
moment). Clumsy yes, but I've yet to find something better.

More recently (for this songster project), I've been able to use *Minstrel
music* $z *Texts *- both the subject and genre headings indicate that this
is work performed by people in blackface.  Those headings avoid the issue
of whether the content is problematic, perhaps leaving us to suggest that
*all* minstrel music is problematic (I believe it is, even if it's
instrumental music parodying or fantasizing about how African American
might have played - no texts needed).

When it gets to images, that's also something that makes me feel
uncomfortable.  Fortunately there's a heading *Blackface entertainers*. The
heading for Blackface itself provides a good number of scope notes
explaining the social context of blackface and minstrelsy.   Another
heading would appear to be *African Americans* $s *Caricatures and cartoons*.
I add the stereotype heading to that too.

[Excursis:  Having done a digital project involving over 1,000 pieces of
sheet music of the 1890s, I was always very puzzled why suddenly beginning
in 1895 there is an explosion of racists covers.  Then recently someone
suggested a possible explanation:  The Supreme Court's Dred Scott case
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dred_Scott> was decided in 1896, so the
arguments would have occurred in 1895.  I've yet to hear a better
explanation.]

Bob Kosovsky, Ph.D. -- Librarian, Rare Books and Manuscripts,
Music & Recorded Sound Division
The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts - Dorothy and Lewis B.
Cullman Center

40 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023

www.nypl.org