[DCRM-L] Foam Book Cradles -- Recommendations and Suppliers

Tue Mar 17 10:00:41 MDT 2020

I put in a query to the State Library of New South Wales, which also uses pillows. Here is the answer from a conservator there:

Dear Deborah,
Here is the verbatim response from our book conservator:
"The pillows - we’re fortunate to have one of our talented volunteers make them. The covers are constructed in the same manner as a pillowcase for a bed pillow. I'm told there are many online how to guides on how to make cushions and pillow covers if a pattern is needed. We use a plain, smooth 100% cotton fabric for both the pillow and the pillow slip. Before sewing, we wash it in warm water to remove any surface treatments. The filling is Styrofoam beads. We only fill each pillow to about 2/3rd full, so that it can be more easily shaped to support the book. We have made 4 sizes, based around octavo, quarto, folio and oversized books, and this seems to be working well."
I hope this helps.
All the best,
Emma Gray

______________________
Deborah J Leslie (she/her) | Senior Cataloger | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol Street, S.E. Washington, DC 20003 | djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | www.folger.edu

From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu> On Behalf Of Martha McTear
Sent: Friday, 13 March, 2020 18:33
To: DCRM Users' Group <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Foam Book Cradles -- Recommendations and Suppliers

After taking a few classes at London Rare Books School (and at the Senate House Library where they use them), I really prefer these:

https://www.universityproducts.com/norfolk-book-sofa.html<https://www.universityproducts.com/norfolk-book-sofa.html>

You can squish them into the right position for each item and not worry about things sliding around.

Martha McTear
Special Research Collections Cataloger/Metadata Librarian
Pronouns: she/her/hers
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93016-9010
(805) 893-5859