[DCRM-L] genre/form headings -- subdivision

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Wed Apr 28 12:56:21 MDT 2021

Hi everyone.

A group at Yale will soon discuss policy regarding subdivisions with genre/form headings, for description of manuscripts and archives. I regret that I find very little in the way of recent literature or commentary on the topic, i.e. arguments in favor or against application of g/f subdivisions. The RBMS Controlled Vocabularies short treatment of the topic<https://rbms.info/cv-comments/2019/05/21/subdivision-policy-version-2-2/> is about the best that I'm aware of. (Thank you CVEG!). Are there useful discussion to be found elsewhere?

I'd like to hear about practice at other institutions. As LCGFT already forbids<https://www.loc.gov/aba/publications/FreeLCGFT/J110.pdf> application of subdivisions, and the RBMS CV will soon follow suit, will folks continue to subdivide AAT - because it's allowed - or is a blanket avoidance of subdivisions preferable, for the sake of consistency at least?

Francis

Francis Lapka
Senior Catalog Librarian
Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
Yale Center for British Art
203-432-9672  *  francis.lapka at yale.edu<mailto:francis.lapka at yale.edu>