[DCRM-L] format confusion

Washington, Brittney brittney.washington at austin.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 26 10:11:23 MDT 2021

Hi Daniel,

With regard to “The third leaf of each gathering is signed A2, B2, C2 etc.” I had something similar like this recently, too. It turns out the gatherings were in twos. In the OCLC record I found this described: “Signatures: A1-L1² A2-L2², with quire A2 following quire A1, B2 following B1, etc.” I found that confusing so I wrote it out for our catalog as follows: A1² A2² B1² B2² C1² C2² D1² D2² ² E1² E2² F1² F2² G1² G2² H1² H2² I1² I2² K1² K2² L1² L2².

This may not answer your question really, but it could be a weird situation like this that is causing so much confusion.

Brittney Washington
Metadata & Cataloging Librarian for Special Formats
Harry Ransom Center
The University of Texas at Austin
(512) 232-1681