[DCRM-L] Folded tables

Robert O. Steele rosteele2021 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 13:53:23 MST 2021

Hello,

I know plates are supposed to be omitted from collation formulas, but what
about unsigned letterpress gatherings with a format different from the rest
of the work?

I'm cataloging a work consisting of 4 octavo gatherings, with 2 quarto
"insertions". I would be tempted to call them "folded plates" except that
they are not plates, but rather letterpress tables. Each insertion is a
quarto bifolium printed with the same type and on the same paper as the
rest, and each consisting of 4 distinct pages (the tables do not run across
the fold). Since they are larger than the octavo gatherings, they are also
folded up from the bottom.

The quarto bifolia are inserted in reasonable places in my copy, but I'm
not sure where they were *intended* to be inserted, possibly inside the
last blank leaf (at the end of the final page: "Suit le tableau ... etc.")

The simplest:

62, [2] pages (8vo), [4] pages (4to)

Signatures: [1]⁸ 2-4⁸ (last leaf blank).

With a note explaining the quarto insertions.

But I'm not sure this is accurate.

I'm tempted by something more complicated such as:

Signatures: : [1]⁸ 2-3⁸ 4⁸ (4₇+chi-²chi²); last leaf blank.

Advice?

Robert Steele
GWU Law