[DCRM-L] Diacritic transcription in DCRMR

Jessica Grzegorski grzegorskij at newberry.org
Mon Dec 13 11:51:20 MST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

In response to your concerns regarding transcription and data provenance raised by the option to add diacritical marks (0.4.12.2<https://bsc.rbms.info/DCRMR/general-rules/Transcription/#0412-letters-and-diacritical-marks>), the RBMS RDA Editorial Group has decided to remove this optional instruction from DCRMR. We will remove it in the coming weeks before the official publication of the standard.

As both Deborah and Bob noted, the discussion around this instruction touches on broader issues of data provenance, which may be recorded using new guidelines in Official RDA. The Editorial Group plans to revisit these broader issues and provide guidance in a future iteration of DCRMR.

We are grateful for the feedback from our community regarding DCRMR and rare materials cataloging. Your contributions to discussions raised in threads like this one go a long way toward making DCRMR a clear and useful standard for all who use it.

Best,
Jessica Grzegorski, co-editor of DCRMR