[DCRM-L] help with a book term

Matthew C. Haugen mch2167 at columbia.edu
Tue Feb 2 13:39:56 MST 2021

Something similar came up on DCRM-L in 2017, so I am copying the exchange
below. I do think what you describe sounds like something accomplished
during imposition and layout of sheets during printing, not binding (as for
dos-à-dos and tête-bêche).

"Tête-bêche imposition" might be a possible term for it:
http://gdt.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/ficheOqlf.aspx?Id_Fiche=8889412.

Possibly something like "upside-down books" or "reversible books" might be
inclusive of tete-beche imposition and tete-beche binding?

Matthew

--
I agree with Deborah that what you describe sounds more like a matter of
printing than binding. As I understand it, tête-bêche *binding* involves

I find the term tête-bêche also used in philately to describe the *printing* of
adjacent unseparated postage stamps oriented head-to-tail, whether
intentionally or not. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%AAte-b%C3%AAche

The closest thing I could find in the RBMS vocabularies was "Inverted
blocks (Printing)" but this appears to refer to a type of page make-up
error, not an intentional printing phenomenon.

I find reference to head-to-tail printing, referring to pages printed
oriented as for a legal document bound along the top edge, to be read in a
single direct sequence by flipping pages upward. This is also different
from the opposing interleaved sequences described by Amber, but in both
cases it involves printing rectos and versos in opposite orientations.

As tete-beche is not found in the RBMS thesaurus at all, maybe this
warrants two CV proposals for new terms along the lines of Tête-bêche (Binding)
and Tête-bêche (Printing)?

Matt

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 7:25 PM, Deborah J. Leslie <DJLeslie at folger.edu>
 wrote:

> You know, I don't think it is. Both dos-à-dos and tête-bêche are binding
> structures that contain two books together in opposite directions. But what
> it sounds like Billey is describing is a complete interleaving of the two
> books, and therefore a printing condition. Yes? A single opening will show
> an upside-down page on the verso and a right-side-up page on the recto.
>

> Deborah J. Leslie, MA, MLS | Senior Cataloger, Folger Shakespeare Library
> | djleslie at folger.edu | 201 East Capitol Street, S.E. | Washington, DC
> 20003 | 202.675-0369 <(202)%20675-0369> | orcid.org 0000-0001-5848-5467

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger
102 Butler Library
Columbia University Libraries
E-mail: matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Phone: 212-851-2451

--
Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger | Columbia University Libraries