[DCRM-L] question about transcription of uncial font

Schneider, Nina nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
Thu Feb 11 12:57:08 MST 2021

Hi all,

I'm working on a bibliography and would like to transcribe the title. It is printed in Samson uncial (as is all the text in the book), and has no upper- or lower-case letters (or font size changes that allow a best guess).

Although it's a modern font (designed by Victor Hammer, cut by Rudolf Koch's son), this is the first time I've tried to transcribe uncial and I'm stumped. There's no guidance in DCRM(B) or in McKerrow, etc. AMREM says to use the capitalization rules in AACR2R (app. A) for capitalization.

I'm torn between three choices for transcription: all caps, all lowercase, or caps in the expected positions but enclosed in square brackets. An explanation of the font will be given, but any suggestions for actual transcription would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Nina

Nina M. Schneider
Rare Books Librarian
William Andrews Clark Memorial Library, UCLA
2520 Cimarron Street
Los Angeles, CA  90018
(310) 794-5780

nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu