[DCRM-L] question about transcription of uncial font

Matthew C. Haugen mch2167 at columbia.edu
Thu Feb 11 13:14:35 MST 2021

Hi Nina,

My vote would be to normalize capitalization of a single-case font like
this, providing caps in the expected positions, as I would for something
printed in all capitals in a roman typeface, or when romanizing a script
that doesn't indicate case, like Hebrew. DCRM(B) 0G2 doesn't cover this
situation exactly but seems close: Convert letters to uppercase or
lowercase according to the rules for capitalization in AACR2, Appendix A. I
think an explanatory note would be helpful but I don't think brackets are
necessary. It appears that this modern font differentiates I/J and U/V and
W letterforms so that usual wrinkle in case conversion shouldn't be an
issue.

Example from DCRM(B) 0G2:
LES OEVVRES MORALES DE PLVTARQVE, TRANSLATEES DE GREC EN FRANÇOIS, REVEVES
ET corrigees en plusieurs passages par le translateur

Transcription: Les oeuures morales de Plutarque / translatees de grec en
françois, reueues et corrigees en plusieurs passages par le translateur

Matthew

--
Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger | Columbia University Libraries